Quinoa , very appreciated by vegetarians because it is gluten free, is a substitute for wheat products. Indeed, unlike other cereals, this pseudo-cereal has a high protein content, but is also very rich in vitamin B. It is the essential element for a healthy and varied diet. So what are the benefits of this nutrient ? Why is it important for our health?
What are the types of quinoa?
There are nearly 1800 types of quinoa in the world. We have chosen to highlight the most widespread varieties of it in the market. These are them:
- white quinoa
- red quinoa
- black quinoa
Let’s look at each type in more detail:
White quinoa is the most popular. It has the best texture in my opinion. It is the lightest and fluffiest, and has a very delicate flavor. It can replace rice, and can be used in baked goods.
Red quinoa is slightly harder than the previous one. That said, its shape is retained after cooking, which takes just a few minutes. Its texture is chewy and its flavor is much richer than that of whitetype. It can be added to cereals, but hardly in baked goods.
Black quinoa is the rarest type. You can find it in organic stores like “Main Herbalism”. It has a coarser texture than red type, and the flavor is much more intense. It takes longer to cook. It has a bite and I highly recommend it.
So in terms of nutrition, there is not a big difference between these different types . You can choose the one fits your needs according to its availability and of course your preferences.
What are the health benefits of quinoa?
Quinoa seeds have many nutritional benefits. They contain about 70% carbohydrate, 15% protein, 6.5% fat, and many minerals. This is why it is increasingly consumed in the world.
- First of all, it is a gluten-free pseudo-cereal. It is the favorite food of vegetarians and the ideal cereal for people who do not tolerate gluten.
- It prevents cardiovascular diseases and diabetes. Indeed, it is a food that provides a significant amount of fiber to the body, which will prevent cardiovascular disease but also diabetes. Its richness in fiber (5G for cooked quinoa ) will also allow you to stay full for a long time.
- Thanks to its richness in non-heme iron, it brings more iron in our diet which is favorable for people suffering from anemia.
- It is rich in vitamins and minerals:
- It s much richer in vitamins and minerals than other grains (rice, corn.)
|Vitamins and minerals||% for one portion of quinoa|
- The magnesium contained in this nutrient will reduce stress and make sleep easy to find.
- Copper will facilitate the formation of hemoglobin and collagen in the human body.
- Iron will facilitate the formation of red blood cells and the transport of oxygen.
- Zinc will participate in the healing of wounds and also in the development of the embryo in women.
- Phosphorus will help maintain our teeth in good health.
- It is used to lose weight. Indeed, it has a very low glycemic index and is an asset for weight loss. Eating it will not affect the insulin rush.
- It is an excellent anti-inflammatory . In fact, it is composed of flavonoids and saponins that will help reduce inflammation.
What are the benefits of quinoa for my skin?
Quinoa is not only used in cooking, but also as a beauty tip for men and women.
- Thanks to its richness in vitamin E, it will help repair skin tissue when it is affected by the effects of the sun or smoking. Indeed, this vitamin allows it to capture the elements which are going to harm the collagen. Its richness in Lysine allows it to decrease the inflammation of the skin when this one is a victim of acne.
- It is an excellent anti-aging drug.
Due to its richness in vitamin A and B2, it will encourage the production of collagen, which will reduce the appearance of wrinkles on the skin. It is an asset for people suffering from skin depigmentation.
Quinoa grains are a very effective exfoliant for dry skin. They are most used for the face, which is the most exposed part of the body. Mixed with water and applied on it, they reduce dead skin.
When should I not consume quinoa?
You are not advised to take this nutriment if you are on a high carbohydrate diet, as it has a blood sugar index of 53.
If you suffer from kidney stones, I advise you not to consume too much of it because it is composed of oxalate which reduces the absorption of calcium.
Perfect quinoa recipe for health:
– 200g of white quinoa
– Salt (two spoons)
– Tomato (1)
– Shallot (1)
For the vinaigrette
Prepare the ingredients and place it on the side. Make the vinaigrette next, respecting the order. Pour the it inside and then cut up the vegetables. Mix everything well and don’t forget! It is much better when it is fresh (about 1 hour).
To conclude, quinoa is the most nutritious and healthy starch in the world, hence its nickname “the golden seed”. A portion of it contains almost the same amount of protein as meat or fish. However, like any other food, it is advised not to consume it excessively.
Are you a quinoa lover?
Please share your favorite quinoa recipe, with us in the comments !!!!